During the summer I was contacted by Hobby Craft to see if I wanted to review one of their sewing machines, for the less experienced of people like myself... Back in the days of my GCSEs I did actually achieve 2 Distinctions in 'Fashion', whatever that means... however I also distinctly remember the fashion room technician being pestered/tricked/bribed/guilt tripped into the physical side of my work! I could whip up a mood board no problem, but when it came to overlocking a hem or sorting out my bobbin, I was hopeless. 

Even looking at a sewing machine fills me with impending doom and dread, however how could I turn down such a nice offer from Hobby Craft? I went for one by Singer as it was the brand I felt most familiar with - have I reiterated enough times that I'm not an expert haha?!  

I was happily surprised with this little machine of sewing magic powers. Firstly it was nice and aesthetically pleasing, perfect to use as a cute accessory for your room which screams 'hey look how creative and practical I am'. The size was also good, it isn't a beast of a machine, but at the same time it isn't ridiculously too small to use. It comes with all instructions for complete beginners, even including how to thread it, as well as the instructions on how to use the different sewing settings. I find I'm always having to take things in here and there, usually going to my design student friend Milly, or my best friend's nan - or I'm faced with a DIY last minute fancy dress costume, not getting anywhere soon with hand stitching. This little fella has sorted all my basic needs (I say basic, it probably could achieve a lot more if you have more skill than I do!). 

If you are looking at investing, make sure you utilise the 10% student discount and free delivery! As you can probably tell, I'm not experienced enough to talk about the technical side, so I'll just leave you with the specifications of the machine, if it means more to you than it does myself... ha!

The 1408 Singer Promise sewing machine includes all the basic features you need to create almost any project. Includes basic and decorative stitches as well as a buttonhole and easy stitch selection. Simple machine threading and an automatic bobbin winder make set up a breeze
A reverse lever is right at your finger tips for automatic stitch locking. The included easy to change snap-on presser feet are easily accessible in the accessory storage drawer that can be removed to create a free arm for stitching in hard-to-reach areas. Stitches include buttonhole, straight, zig zag, blind hem, rick rack, scallop and an overcasting / serging stitch
  • 8 Built-In Stitches
  • Automatic 4-Step Buttonhole
  • Heavy Duty Metal Frame
  • Simple Stitch Selection
  • Adjustable Zigzag Width
  • Quick and Easy Threading
  • 4 Snap-On Presser Feet
  • Free Arm with Accessory Storage
  • Extra High Presser Foot Lift
  • Automatic Bobbin Winding
  • Accessories:
  • All Purpose Foot
  • Zipper Foot
  • Buttonhole Foot
  • Button Sewing Foot
  • Edge / Quilting Guide
  • Pack of Needles
  • Bobbins
  • Large Thread Spool Cap
  • Spool Pin Felt
  • Darning Plate
  • L-Screwdriver
  • Seam Ripper / Lint Brush
  • Soft-Sided Dust Cover
I also would recommend, like myself, setting your machine up with an area of good lighting! There is nothing worse than straining your eyes, concentrating in a poorly lit space. I set this one up near a large window with some inspirational scenery... with great artificial lighting for when daylight screws me.